Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Yumcha VS English Afternoon Tea

Whenever being asked the 'Coffee or Tea' question, I would always choose the latter.

Delving into the topic of tea culture, as a Cantonese I have always been a big fan of 'yum zou cha', the Chinese style of morning tea which involves a few dim sum dishes and a pot of Chinese tea. To me, going to the old rusty restaurants for an authentic yum cha session on Sunday mornings is in fact, the most affordable and simplest pleasures in life.

However, as much as I adore the British tea culture, I haven't experienced English afternoon tea in my life before this. (yea I'm that pathetic huhu) Well what I actually meant is the tea session where you would also have fancy pastries and cakes served on delicate china and tiered stands. Tsk.

but but.. I finally tried out that day! Went to delicious at Straits Quay and ordered the Afternoon tea set.

 

 

Ordered a set of 6 colourful macarons for the sake of food photo shooting. *look away with guilt*
It doesn't taste THAT nice. Hmm I really need to try the ones made in France one day.


Me iz berry happy nao ( ˘ ³˘)♥



Strawberries with chocolate dip; Hand-rolled chocolate truffles; rosemary & cheese cookies.

 

My choice of cakes on display: Heated brownies topped with a scoop of ice cream. 
 

Warm scones served with preserves and pure cream.

 

Duck confit in filo pastry; assortment of finger sandwiches.

Frankly speaking, the finger food was just okay-okay and I doubt it's worth the price. For a moment, it somehow made me feel like a spoiled silver-spooned socialite when I looked at the bill.

Oh well. You don't eat these everyday what *smirks* I guess once in a while is still fine.
But if given a choice, I would prefer har gau siew mai over the fancy looking red velvet cake.